-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu]On Behalf Of pieter
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 7:22 PM
To: jim leuba; Elec-Trak Tractor
Subject: Re: (ET) linear actuator power steering?

Good thought.  The converted Yanmar compact tractor I referenced
apparently
uses an on-off-on momentary switch to do the steering.  This is simple, it
works, no problem.  But I am so based by my thousands of miles behind a
steering wheel that I would prefer a simulated "normal" steering
system.  Yes - the idea of using an encoder on the steering shaft to
"tell"
an actuator controller how far to step the screw is far harder to
implement
than a switch and a screw.  But how cool would it be to have a
"fly-by-wire" ET?

I understand what you are envisioning when you describe a zero turn radius
ET.  This seems to be a major engineering challenge - way beyond what I
will undertake!

By the way, my steering gear is worn too.  I have been told that a large
punchout from a breaker box is almost a perfect fit as a spacer to take up
the slack in the steering shaft.  I haven't tried it yet.