Re: (ET) linear actuator power steering?

Good thought. The converted Yanmar compact tractor I referenced apparently uses an on-off-on momentary switch to do the steering. This is simple, it works, no problem. But I am so based by my thousands of miles behind a steering wheel that I would prefer a simulated "normal" steering system. Yes - the idea of using an encoder on the steering shaft to "tell" an actuator controller how far to step the screw is far harder to implement than a switch and a screw. But how cool would it be to have a "fly-by-wire" ET?

I understand what you are envisioning when you describe a zero turn radius ET. This seems to be a major engineering challenge - way beyond what I will undertake!

By the way, my steering gear is worn too. I have been told that a large punchout from a breaker box is almost a perfect fit as a spacer to take up the slack in the steering shaft. I haven't tried it yet.