From: "Markus Lorch" <mlorch vt edu>
To: "'Kleinbrahm, Bob'" <rkleinbrahm firstrepublic com>; <>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 2:06 PM
Subject: Winches - was: RE: (ET) Rear lift swap!

I also purchased a winch via eBay to mount on my E20, three things to watch
out for from my point of view:

1. "power out / power in" is the feature we need to raise/lower the strap
using the switch
2.  an up/down switch is sometimes included but not always, it comes in
handy
3. the gears on these cheaper winches are very loud
4. some motors can be run at 24V while others can't
5. the cheaper winches (besides the often ridiculous shipping charges)
frequently have low power motors
   (which results in slow wire speed)

Markus

I purchased one of the 12 volt winches on ebay, have it mounted on the
bracket that the original lift motor was mounted on.  I had to mount a
piece
of steel plate to the original bracket, and then mount the winch on it,
works like a charm.  Paid $70 for winch w/$39 for shipping additional fee.
Only draw back with these cheap winches is that they are one-way only.  You
need to engage manual release with a handle tool, to let out cable.  I use
this with my tiller and it makes it easy to lift it, even with extreme
offset to side for side tilling.  No more broken straps!

Bob

Bob Kleinbrahm
Senior Network Engineer
First Republic Bank
San Francisco, CA.
415-288-1478

The information transmitted is intended only for the person  or  entity

taking of any action in reliance upon, this information  by persons  or

entities other than  the  intended  recipient  is  prohibited.  If  you

received this in error,  please  contact  the  sender  and  delete  the

material from any computer.