-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu
[mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu]On Behalf Of pieter
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 12:14 PM
To: Mike Wallace; Steve Gaarder; Elec-Trak Tractor
Cc: Elec-trak Discussion Group
Subject: Re: (ET) E-12M and obstacles

Funny - I was just thinking the same thing myself.  How about an electric
brushhog?  A pull behind mower with a large single blade (30 inch?), big
electric motor (like ET snowblower size), and some kind of protection
against shaft damage from hitting rocks and roots.  I have an old Gravely
6
hp brush hog that swings a 30 inch blade that must weigh 15 pounds.  It
has
a slip clutch built into the drive shaft to protect the motor from
suddenly
stops.  Another possible design is a large circular hub with two short
swinging stub blade hinged to it - this allows them to fold back when
striking a solid object.  See the Swisher mower web site for rough mowers
and brush hogs.