Re: (ET) Brake source

Dan and Group,

According to the folks I have talked with at Hayes, their model 310M is
very
close to the brake originally used on Elec-Traks.  I sent them a picture of
one off a Wheel Horse C-185 and they do agree it's close, but they don't
"think" it's one of theirs.

Hayes doesn't sell direct to guys like us, but the 310M brake can be
ordered
from General Engineering & Equipment in Minneapolis, MN.  Call 800-862-8138
and ask for Joe.  Tell him you want a 310M series mechanical brake,
assembly
number 00-10000.  The price is little steep, in my opinion, at $47.40 ea
with a 3-4 week delivery.  The 310M has considerable more pad area and
would
definitely be a better brake than the original steel caliper brake.  And a
whole lot better than the earlier diecast caliper unit.

I believe the bolt size is larger than the original 1/4-20, and the
actuating arm is located differently; straight up and down instead of at an
angle toward the rear.  You may have to drill out the holes in the mounting
plate and make a new or modify the existing brake rod, but neither of those
things should be a big deal.

Mike Wallace
Glasgow, KY