(ET) Klixon breaker failure mode on mower motors

Hello All,

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but since it's generally
acknowledged that mower motor components (specifically armatures and
shell-magnet assemblies) are some of the things in the "hard to replace"
category (i.e. no cheap, readily available substitutes), I'd like to
mention a failure mode that could lead to armature problems, and possibly
to an expensive rewind job, if you can't locate replacement armatures.  In
extreme cases, it may even lead to partial demagnetization of the magnets.

I have an early front-mount deck (nose roller & "screen door" handle era)
which has the smaller diameter motors, and recently I found that two of
the armatures had winding problems.  These motors would draw unusually
high current, run hot, vibrate, and not attain the usual operating RPM.
When operated on the bench at 5-10VDC, they would stall at certain points
in the rotation, then spin 180°, then stall... the classic behavior of
armature coil problems.  Also, I felt some dragging/cogging when spinning
the shafts by hand with the motor disconnected... I had replaced bearings
last year, so this was electromechanical drag... not good!  Growler tests
at the local motor shop confirmed my suspicions: a couple of shorted coils.

More investigation turned up the fact that the little 25A Klixon breakers
on top of the motor caps were WELDED CLOSED!  So, under heavy loads, the
motors would draw more and more current, get hotter and hotter, and
perhaps this eventually burned out some of the varnish on the coils,
leading to shorts in the windings.  A little searching on the web turned
up some (incomplete) specs on the Klixon CA-series breakers (Texas
Instruments now owns this operation... see
http://www.ti.com/mc/docs/precprod/docs/tcb.htm). They mention a 30VDC
rating for these breakers... no wonder they couldn't clear the arcs.  In
one case, the disc was actually burned away near one contact, so at least
that unit did finally stop the current flow.  These are old units, so it's
also possible that they welded from resistive heating during heavy
operation, since the contacts may have become dirty and pitted over the
years.

So, I suggest the next time you are working on a mower motor, remove the
Klixon breaker on top, hold a lighter underneath it for a second or two to
heat the bimetallic disc, and check to make sure you get an open circuit
across the terminals.  If not, it could be welded closed.

As for me, I'm planning on replacing these Klixon guys with some
48VDC-rated molded-case breakers (Square-D QOU125 or similar).  The QOU's
mount on DIN rail, so I'll probably just mount them to the deck surface
somewhere.  Hope they can tolerate the dust...  I'd rather not have to put
them in an enclosure.

BTW, I've never had any troubles with the main thermal disc breaker CB-1
(the one mounted on the traction motor).  I think it's an SDLA-series
part, 80A rated, but I have to check for sure.  Same goes for CB-2 (40A?)
on the electrical panel behind the dashboard.  Browsing the TI link above
will yield contact info for tech support and for distributors of the
Klixon line, if anyone needs to buy some new breakers.

Geoffrey Rich
E-16