Re: (ET) 48v ET

I think the tractor's main motor would handle it without too much trouble. However: I think the mower deck motors might have a serious problem being PM motors. On the main motor, the shunt voltage goes up with armature voltage, increashing the field strength. On a PM motor, the magnets mean the field is fixed.

The other thing to think about is that the contactors and all are rated for 36 volts. Running them at 48 volts means that you have just exceeded their threshold. They may arc, or burn out more quickly, or (in a really bad case) fail to stop the tractor by welding on.

*HOWEVER* If you want to run a 48 volt inverter I don't see why you couldn't put an extra 12 volt battery in series with the 36 volts, then attach the inverter to that. Just make sure to charge the top 12 volt battery with it's own charger and let the Elec-trak charge the other batteries (which will be flat together)

Chris

robert winfield wrote:
Is a 48v ET doable? It would make things much simpler.
I could yank out that dratted charger and squeeze 4
batteries in that area. E12
Obviously it wouldn't void the warrenty but would it
fry the components with 33% more voltage. (visions of
Tim "tooltime" breaking stuff)
I am setting up Photovoltaics to do my charging
(shortage of big wattage PV in the US, Germany, soon
Italy and Spain are greening their countries with
federal subsidies so our prices are up)
24 and 48 volts seem a lot easier to get components
for

--- Anton Berteaux <krustyacres earthlink net> wrote:

also very much less efficient, and most of the
better quality (read expensive ) electronic inverters are very close to sine wave with less distortion than a generator.
I would up the system voltage to 48, which allows
use of many off the shelf inverters, and makes you go faster, too.
anton