From: Chris Zach <czach computer org>
To: Markus Lorch <mlorch vt edu>
Cc: Elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:25:25 -0400
Subject: Re: (ET) PV powered ET more questions

Um no.

If the higher capacity batteries are in series with the low capacity
ones and you run the charger, what will happen? Either you will boil and overcharge the lower ones to charge up the higher ones, or you will
never fully charge the higher capacity batteries.

The "right" solution is a 36 volt inverter. If you're only going to use
a little bit of power, then a 24 volt (better) or a 12 volt could *do*.
However two of your batteries will be out of sync on charging, and
you'll still wind up overcharging some batteries on the pack to get
everything back in sync.

Get a Trace DR3624. You'll have 3,600 watts of power, and it will pull the pack down evenly. With that you should be able to run anything.
Chainsaw, etc.

Chris

Markus Lorch wrote:

This is so I can use Solar PV to charge my batteries,
carry a small inverter on the ET to run a small
commercial inverter for string trimmers and electric
chain saws (Price Club/CostoCo had a nice deal on
1.75kw Xantrex inverters)
(and run the fridge, a radio and a couple of lights in
a pinch.) (There are a LOT of trees hanging over a LOT
of electric lines anywhere I drive, many more than
10-15 degrees past vertical)

The previous owner of my E20 has put two larger (higher capacity)
batteries in my elec-trak. These drive the 12V components. I also
have a 300W inverter hooked up (cheap $20) to which I connect my
small electric trimmer. It worked fine all afternoon yesterday.

Maybe you can also have two batteries be larger?

see my other post on chargers.

Markus