Re: (ET) PV powered ET more questions

Danger! If you want to hook the batteries into parallel you MUST first remove the series connections.

So in this case that would mean removing 2 of the heavy cables (with the lead ends) to end up with 3 independent 12-volt groups. These then and only then could be hooked in parallel for a massive 12-volt battery.

Changing all the cables around on a regular basis would be a huge nuisance IMO. You could add contactors (big relays) to switch things around for you, but that would likely cost more than the extra costs of a 36-volt charge controller or inverter.

robert winfield wrote:
Is this a hallucination and am I asking for an
explosion?
My Elec-trak has 6 DEKA Solar batteries in series for
36volts.

If I take 3 pairs of cables to the screw tops
(batteries are connected by the lead squeeze
connectors) and parallel them off so I have 3 sets of
12 volts, am I asking for an explosion if I run that
into a 12v charge controller or a 12v in 120v out
1.75kw Xantrex inverter?
Can I have batteries wired both in series and
parallel?
I realize dead shorts anywhere are very bad.
I suspect I have too many paths for the electrons but
when I look at the drawing, if the charge controller
or the inverter can take it is looks ok.
I just have a queasy feeling I am missing something.

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak
1992 Chevy S-10 BEV