Re: (ET) http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/mhonarc/elec-trak/msg07346.html

A quick alternate thought on batteries.  If you plan to use the tractor as a serious tool, I would stretch and get new batteries especially if you can find them for $50 at Sam's club.  I put in a set of exide 114 min @75 amp from battery plus.  I have been amazed at the power they supply.  The only time I drain them is running the snow blower after a big storm (on a 180 foot drive wide at one end) or using the mower with vacuum leaf blower from Bill Gun on 1+ leaf filled acres.  Given the time and effort of installing them and the service life they will provide.  The batteries are the heart of the tractor.

If on the otherhand you have multiple machines and or you are just experimenting, then a collection of older mismatched batteries would be the best low cost option.

Just my two cents.
Rob, NH

John G <zoo_keeper_johng yahoo com> wrote:
ell I have been charging and monitoring for two days now. I have one battery
that is definately good, one that is marginal, and one that heats up
excessively, and will not hold a charge much above 11.8Vdc :(

I also tried to measure the OC voltage of the GE charger, but it was very low,
like 15V or less, but it picked right up when connected. Is that right? I
have yet to disconnect the capacitor and remeasure my output, that's on the
list for today.

It looks like I'll be dumping some serious coin on replacement batteries much
sooner than any later.

Thanks for the many suggestions, I'll be calling the local Golf Courses and
battery distributors tomorrow.

=====
John G, '74 E12