(ET) Mower motor mayhem (maybe)

Well, I drove the tractor down to the shed, dropped off the blower and mounted the deck. The deck has spent the winter on it's side in a nice dry shed.

Hooked it up and powered it up. Sounded wrong. It would pull mower deck current, but the needle was "spiking" every 20 seconds or so.

Checked the deck. The center motor was spinning normally while the outer two were not. They would start to spin for a few seconds, then shut down as their thermo-breakers tripped.

Tried the deck at 12 volts. All blades spun fine. Interesting. With the mower unplugged, turning one blade would cause the other two to turn. So bearings were ok.

Then I tried bypassing one of the thermo sensors, thinking they were bad. Plugged into 36 volts and fired it up.

Blades spun up fine but motor started to smoke in seconds. Shut down, wires to it were hot.

Whoah. Reconnected the breaker and tried again. Once again motor would spin for a few seconds then trip. Looking in the little inspection port I could see sparks on the commutator.

What happened over the winter? And why to two motors?

Chris