Re: (ET) Rookie questions on an E20

> 1.  Should anything happen when I turn on the key? - i.e should any of
> the
> relays click? Should the gauges show the charge state?

- The key switch basically allows the control board to function, which in
turn allows the contactors to work. Just turning the switch on doesn't do
anything noticeable as I recall.

> 2. I've found the seat and brake safety switches - are there any more?

--No.

> 3. When I press in the 'Disconnect switch' The gauges do show the charge
> state and resistor elements get hot (nothing connected to the PTO). Is
this
> normal? Should the PTO contactor click?

-- Disconnect on (key off) will allow the gauges, lights, and lift to work.
Resistor elements should not get hot. Sounds like, for some reason, the
motor is 'on' but the field is off. Maybe a stuck contactor. Do not allow
this to occur as it can burn out the motor!

> 4. When I attempt to charge - with the disconnect out nothing happens
> (except the transformer hums). with the disconnect in the resistors get
hot
> as before. Is this correct? (I can't see any change in battery voltage
> but
> also can't believe the resistors should get hot during charging).

- Disconnect must be on to charge - I still don't understand why it's like
that. Resistors should not be hot! Is the power use (ammeter) meter real
high? Resistors only are used in low throttle.

> 5. Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the E20?

- elec-trac.org - Resources, GE service manual section, E20 manual

> 6. I assume the large contactors are part of the motor speed control
system, but what is the function of the relays at >the top of the plate
(behind the switches)?

>7. How does the cruise control system work? - is this the function of the
> PCB's and components.

- I can't remember offhand.

> Like I said - I need help. - Once I've got it running I'll start on the
> mower and blower...
>
> Steve

Suggestion:
- Verify there are no shorts to the frame.
- Inspect the routing of all wires - look for disconnected or cut wires -
near the motor pulley is a common one.
- Visually inspect any relay contacts out in the open - look for
welded/burnt contacts.
- Check 'faston' connections for loose, corroded connections.
- Check fuse contacts
- Disconnect the motor.
- Start with just the disconnect engaged (key off)
- Verify good voltage, ~no current draw
- Verify lights work.
- Verify lift works.
- Key on
- Verify PTO relay clicks.
- Moving throttle should engage various contactors and relays - you can
hear
them.
- If all the above is good then everything is basically ok (maybe)
- Figure out why the resistors get hot - you'll need the schematic. I guess
a stuck contactor.

- SteveS
- E20
-E12Ss