Re: (ET) Elec-trak E12 beginnner needs advice

I think you are right in using a modern controller in this case. It may not be cheaper, but a lot easier.  OTOH, maybe someone doing a conversion wants to get rid of their original control circuit parts.

Other things:
- I think the brakes are always frozen on 'sitters' - the brake pedal shaft goes thru a plain bushing on the chassis - kroil, heat, and hammer.
- No batteries is good - when they are left in they leak and rot the sheet metal away. Get to know your local golf course cart shed, golf cart repair place, or battery store and see about picking up some good used batteries (~$20 or less each).
- No accessories are tough, but ask and keep looking.
- Seat is easy and cheap - foam and remnents from the fabric store.
- Too bad about gauges - a cheap voltmeter would be handy. The other empty holes are probably the various switches - cheap.
- What's melted on the charger? I 'd be surpised if the transformer is bad (anyone had one?). If it's ok then the rest of the charger is cheap to fix.
- You can test the motor on 12V or if you get the charger running, use that. If there is any noise, you probably should 'do' the bearings. Pretty cheap.

Now:
- Go to Elec-trak.org and pull the manuals for your model. The first one in the list (under GE service manuals) has good troubleshooting and charger stuff.
- Get to know Bill Gunn for parts and advice.
- Keep asking questions.
- If you are strapped for a part let the list know. Someone may have what you need.

Good luck,

SteveS

Oh yeah, sorry 'bout the job - good luck with that too.

And where abouts are you?