Re: (ET) RE: Elec-trak Digest, Vol 2, Issue 97

I have had good luck with Sams Club Stowaway GC-2 Batteries. (T-
105 equiv. built by Exide)

I have also had pretty good success *repairing* cracks in battery
cases with hot melt glue. Still, though, you're going to need new
batts soon. How about used batts from your friends golf course.
Offer him ten bucks a piece, he only gets 5 for a core anyway.

I figure it this way, ten bucks each last for a year, or 50 bucks
each, last for 5 years, same price either way. If the used ones
last longer, then they are cheaper. As a point - I have NEW batts
in my ET.

Stay Charged!
Hump

a "gassing" charge
>to the Die Hard GC2 Golf Car batteries in my Wheel Horse C-185
(AKA Elec
>Trak E-20) tractor.  These batteries had been grossly neglected
(left to sit
>for two years with maybe a 10% charge on them).  I topped off
cells with a
>combination of Distilled water and EDTA (a heavy metal chelating
compound
>that reduces the strength between the lead sulfate and lead
sulfide plates
>causing  the sulfates to fall free of the plates).  I was truly
amazed that
>before the EDTA I could run the tractor about ten minutes of
mowing before
>it became so sluggish it barely got back to the garage.  After
the EDTA was
>added and the batteries run through a couple of cycles, the
tractor would
>run for an hour.  That's where I made my mistake.  Got a little
cocky with
>my little knowledge and tried to do a "gassing" charge.  The
onboard charger
>puts out a!  round 42vdc.  I used my super duper Army charger and
cranked up
>the voltage to around 50vdc (4-6 amps I think).  You could here
the
>electrolyte bubbling away.  I figured the cap vents would take
care of any
>pressure buildup.  BOY WAS I MISTAKEN.  There was a LOUD report,
a brief
>flash of light and I was done!  Seems that I forgot the part
about cracking
>open/removing the plugs.  The internal pressure cracked the top
of one of
>the batteries half way around the top of the case.  Needless to
say I shut
>everything down in a hurry.  Spent the next half hour
decontaminating the
>area with baking soda and water.  Amazingly enough there wasn't a
whole lot
>of acid sprayed about.
>
>So now I've got a set of 5-6vdc lead acid GC2 batteries with a
little life
>left in them.  I figure that just adding a new 6vdc battery is
not going to
>be the best move here.
>
>So now that I've finished practicing for my Mad Scientist merit
badge I post
>this question:  What batteries do you recommend I replace them
with.  A
>friend at the local golf course can probably get me a new set of
Trojan