Re: (ET) new electrics

Don't forget to include an inverter, so (Joe) can use all of his
cheap AC Power tools anywhere on his property. This is an area
where I think GE made a mistake, they had all of the powered
attachments but they used 36volt design, so required large
currents which requires bulky cables. My ET chainsaw for example
has a power cord that is kind of like a garden hose, thick and
heavy. My AC Remington chainsaw runs off a simple 14 gauge
extension cord, much lighter and much easier to manuever. Also the
AC powered tools are already mass produced and "cheap", and most
homeowners already own them, so won't have to buy new ones.

I don't have an inverter yet, but I will get one, It will be nice
to carry my AC string trimmer on the tractor with me and use it as
I need it.

Now if I could get a company to build a decent AC string
trimmer........they currently have good power, but the motors are
simply not reliable, mainly because of crappy bearings.  I have 3
dead trimmers, 3 different manufacturers, all with bad bearings.
Lucky for me they're as cheap as they are cheap.

Stay Charged!
Hump

Something
>like the john Deere e90 size.  Small rear engine mower with good
turning
>radius, fixed engine speed and belt drive deck.  With something
like that
>you cut down on cost and open up the majority of the machine to
parts that
>are already available for the ice counterpart. The fixed speed
engine will
>eliminate the controller issues leaving only a good hands off
charging
>system to deal with (sealed batteries).  You could use the multi
speed
>friction disk trans like the snapper to get variable speeds.
Basically
>take the snapper rear engine rider, stripe the ice, install
appropriate
>electric motor and batteries.  Use an off-board charging system
so you don't
>deal with crude and mice getting into the charger.  Yes, you will
not be
>plowing, blowing snow or pulling heavy loads, but you will have a
low cost,
>low maintaince, quite mower for someone with a yard to big for a
push mower.

Travis Creswell
>Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 2:20 PM
>To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
>Subject: RE: (ET) Re: new electrics
>
>23 ft. lbs (off hand)
>
>Travis

Bob
>> Murcek
>> Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 12:06 PM
>> To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
>> Subject: (ET) Re: new electrics
>>

>> I think the problem is with bent shafts, probably because of
the
>> momentum in the spinning motor armature.  Would a slip clutch
coupling
>> of some kind help?

>> Regarding belts & immovable objects...  One of the appeals of
the ET
>> is that there aren't any complicated belt mechanisms,
especially with
>> a mid-mounted
>> deck where access is tight.  To avoid losing a motor, why not
have an
>> "overload" breaker switch of some sort that cuts out when a
blade is
>> forcibly stopped or highly stressed?  The operator could just
reset it
>> and
>> proceed.  No belts to change, no safety issues, no fuss...
>>
>> My 2 cents - and I don't even own an ET yet!  How's that for
cheek!

>> Steve

>>   _____
>>
>> IMPORTANT WARNING: The information in this message (and the
documents
>> attached to it, if any) is confidential and may be legally
privileged.
>> It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message
by
>> anyone else is
>> unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
>> copying, distribution or any action taken, or omitted to be
taken, in
>> reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received
>> this
>> message in error, please delete all electronic copies of this
message
>> (and
>> the documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies
you may
>> have
>> created and notify me immediately by replying to this email.
Thank you.