(ET) The potential for new electric tractors...(?)

Greetings everyone,

There were a couple of comments from last week that I would like to talk
about
and gather a bit of information...

These were written last week:

--- "T Humphrey" <thumphrey mynra com> wrote:
> I really think that if someone could build a tractor with modern
> controls (both machine and charge) and ask ~$3500. sold through
> Lowes or HD or Sams Club (a great source for batteries) then they
> would have a hard time keeping up with demand.

-and-

--- Oasis654 aol com wrote:
> why don't some of us get together and
> do a rebuild of these machines as a small business and as volunteer
> projects
> in schools.  there are old machines all over just rotting.

I have an ugly old workhorse of an E-15 and it is great. So I would like to
discuss the logistics of assembling new tractors, where to get parts, would
they be market-able, etc?

I see two initial topics:

1) What does a modern electric tractor need to be capable of doing?
   - cutting grass ... how much grass cutting for each charge?
   - recharge time and monitoring ... does it need to be plug and forget,
sealed batteries and computer controlled charger for the yuppie subdivision
dwellers?
   - attachments? ... the Elec-traks had a whole bunch of plug-in tools and
things.
   - appearance? ... something sleek and cool looking vs. the "classic box
style".

2) What components would be used?
   - where to get tractor axles and parts?
   - mower decks?
   - what type of motor?  ... the sep-ex motors are nice because they
regen/speed control easily, and the new Alltrax controller could be key.
but
maybe a series motor?
   - where to source motors? ... does GE still supply appropriate low
voltage
motors?

Use your imagination for the rest of the questions that I have skipped
over...
I would just like to tap into the knowledge that you all have, and explore
this
a little bit to see if I can come up with a ball-park estimate of the
costs and
features list.

Thanks for any input!
Eric