Re: (ET) Transaxle leak

Brian,
On a Tecumseh Peerless 2300 series transmission the axle housing is dry.
The bearing you see at the drive axle is sealed.
If the axle housing is full of oil an oil seal nearer to the gear box has
failed.
And the gear box oil level is low, due to filling up the axle housing.
If the drive axle bearing is failed it is fairly easy to replace.
Tecumseh called it part number 780050 ball bearing, but it should have
commercial numbers on it. Use any industrial supplier or bearing house.
But the seals inside the gear box could be harder to find and replace.
They are a double lip seal and should be replaced any time the axles are
pulled out of the
transmission.
Tecumseh used to be good about sending manuals and info. Mine are from
1993.
They will need the model and serial numbers off the transmission.
Write them at  Tecumseh Products Co.
                      Service Division
                      900 North St
                      Grafton Wisconsin 53024