RE: (ET) New guy in town...

I have seen many "welcome to the group" posts suggesting (like the one
below) that some normal maintenance activities will keep your ET healthy
for
years to come.  Very true!  Be sure you keep the plastic bags around the
batteries to prevent battery acid from eating its way through the boxes
too.
That seems to be a traditional problem.

I have both an E-12 and an E-15.  Mechanically very similar, but
electrically quite different.  The E-12 is "relay driven", while the E-15
employs a printed circuit board full of discrete semi-conductors to help
with switch timing and lockouts.  Frankly, the E-12 seems more robust
electrically, but the E-15 is a more powerful tractor.  An owner's service
manual, available from Bill Gunn, is invaluable!  You absolutely need one.

Part of my electrical problems with the E-15 stem from the last owner
leaving it out in the elements for a few years.  When I pulled down the
rear
panel, there was a mouse nest on the circuit board (just like Chris
Zacks!)and a lot of mouse pee rotted components.  I rebuilt the board
myself
using off the shelf components, and it works OK.  I should probably buy a
"real" replacement for it since I think there may still be an intermittent
contact somewhere on it.  The only ongoing problem I have, not entirely
unique to mine, is the occasional frying of a reversing relay.  The only
sure cure for me is to be sure that the tractor is completely stopped
before
reversing direction.  These units are not without their "personality
quirks"
which make them more fun to be around than your average Sears garden
tractor.