Re: (ET) charging circuit

It *is* full-wave rectified.  It works by combining the output of two
half-wave rectifiers.  Call the diodes A and B.  On one half-cycle of the
AC, diode A conducts.  Current flows to the battery through diode A and
the half of the transformer secondary connected to diode A.  On the other
half-cycle, diode B conducts; it and its half of the transformer winding
supply the current.  Thus you have current flowing in both halves of the
AC cycle, making a full-wave rectifier.  Each *half* of the transformer
winding puts out something around 36 volts, so the voltage across the
whole winding is more like 72 volts.  If you put in a 4-diode bridge
circuit, you'd have far too much voltage and not enough current.

This circuit was preferred over the bridge circuit when diodes were more
expensive than they are now.