(ET) Re: pack not isolated from frame??

Just had a thought about catching frame grounds early.

I've noticed that in industrial situations where 3-phase delta-connected power (three hot wires totally unrelated to ground, no neutral) is used, electricians sometimes connect a light bulb from each of the hot wires to ground.  Since the three hot wires don't have a relationship to ground, the bulbs all glow equally running in sorta-series.  If there's a ground fault, i.e., if one of the hot wires gets connected to ground by accident, the bulb for that wire goes out.

We could do the same thing, I think.  Just connect two small (something that would take a least a quarter of an amp) 36-48 volt bulbs, one from the plus end of the pack to the frame, and one from the negative end of the pack to the frame.  Properly fused of course.  Maybe with one fed from the load side of the key switch so that they were only on when the tractor was.

>>> Dave & Debbie Barden <daveb seanet com> 1/26/2004 8:38:50 AM >>>
because of some red-orange paint I thought for a while it might be a wheelhorse
but the the GE symbol is there on the front grill.  there's no hole up front
where the PTO plug may've been. The tractor has been painted JD green including
the name plate on top of the dash unfortunately and the data plate under the
hood isn't there.  Unless I can get some info off the painted plate atop the
dash I'm afraid all I'll have to go on is physical description.  the tractor's
on the island and it'll be friday before I can get there again.

thanks for the warning/confirmation that I've a dangerous situation that must
be fixed immediately.  I'm taking that to heart...

dave
seattle