Re: (ET) Weight and the snowthrower

Well, there isn't much snow on the ground now. I'm also going in LL.

Tomorrow will be the test. To cheat I think I am going to park it at the *top* of the driveway pointing down. That way no matter how little traction I have I should win. Well, unless it slides down the hill. Hm. I might think about that one for awhile.

I've noticed that when I have the plow on the ground the tractor steers a lot better. Which makes sense; with the tractor on the ground the weight is on the skids. When you lift it you have a 300lb point weight hanging off the nose.

Also is the auger supposed to auto brake when you turn off the PTO? Mine just slowly spins down; the mower motors stop fast due to the shorted armature. Then again I'll bet the stator field collapses when the power is off so there's nothing to short. Or is that motor a PM type?

Chris

oleoranch aaahawk com wrote:
At 01:11 PM 1/25/04 -0500, you wrote:
 >Ok, so I put on the back box and loaded it with six 25lb Hawker Genesis
 >batteries (not charged). This seems to make the steering a bit easier
 >with the blower on the ground and definately makes a difference with
 >traction. I might make a wood platform to go between the box and the
 >tractor and add a pair of 60lb batteries as well.
 >
> Chris, I have about 450lbs in the rear weight box + rear wheel weights at 55 lbs each + chains and I am _just barely_ able to get traction to move. How are you able to go with so little weight? Rob

    No trees were destroyed in the creation of this E Mail, however many
electrons were severely inconvenienced! RAV (DofTI)