(ET) Hydrometer use- hope this gets comments, but not too many flames

I am a former long term E20 owner planning to get another as soon as I can. I am also a telco engineer with a lot of experience with stationary lead- acid batteries.
One of the recommendations made within the last few years by the battery manufacturers was to "throw away the hydrometers."

This wasn't because of the fact that they didn't work- they work very well. The rationale was that even under controlled (utility type work rules) conditions, the contamination by dirt from frequent hydrometer use was more damaging to battery life than "not knowing" the specific gravity of each cell. In other words, the preventive maintenance was causing the problem it was supposed to prevent.

Instead of hydrometer use, the recommendation was for more frequent equalizing (or, no equalizing- just float them higher) charge and careful watch on electrolyte levels. If a bad cell is suspected, it can be found by using a digital meter across each cell under a moderate test load- the bad cell will have a lower voltage. Or, if the battery has been discharged, the cells can be individually checked under normal charge- the bad cell will have a higher voltage avross it.

I took this advice on the Elec-trak as well as on the telco batteries. Results? Had very little trouble with anything. As Fox would say, "I believe."