Re: (ET) Ccccold Batteries

Your pedal MAY be at least part of the problem. You need to remove the
cover and the plate under it and remove all the old grease (if there is
any left) and re lube with a very light weight grease (white lithium,
maybe). The grease gets too gunky (stiff) at cold temps and causes the no
pedal return (quite dangerous, actually). It may also be causing some of
the cherry switches to stick in the engaged position.

As to the batteries, when they are cold, they do need a higher voltage to
maintain the same overall state-of-charge (temperature compensated
voltage). The problem is, as far as I know, the ET charger is not voltage
adjustable. To compensate, just charge longer like you did already. That's
about all you can do, short of buying a good external charger. Actually,
it may not be a bad idea for the winter to just use the GE charger and let
it go through a full cycle or so, especially right before you need to use
the tractor. That makes a big difference in how much pep the ET has when
it is cold (or warm, for that matter). Letting the battery acid get to the
boil point isn't a problem in general. You just need to watch the water
level and add distilled water when necessary. In fact, if the charger is
never allowed to stay on long enough to boil (equalize) the batteries for
a short time (maybe a few hours, or more), then the batteries will all
never get fully charged (the pack will be unbalanced). Performance will
continue to drop, and it will appear like the batteries are bad, when they
really aren't.

Hope this helps,
Don C.