(ET) Electric Snowblower Update

A couple of folks have asked me to let them know how things turned out in
this
little story.

I did some research on the 'Net, and came to the conclusion that the Toro
PowerCurve 1800 was probably the best bet for my mother as a replacement
for the
dead 8 hp gasser snowblower.  I found a local Toro dealer that was not
interested
in ordering one in for me in the foreseeable future, let alone at a
reasonable
price.  I also found that Home Depot (U.S.) carried the Toro, but the
Canadian
website was useless. I called the store, but they couldn't tell me if they
had any
Toro electric snowblowers in stock, I'd have to come into the store.
Anyway,
dropped my wife off at work this morning, and the local HD is next door,
so I
dropped in to see what they had.  2 of the 1800's on the floor, and on
sale (15%)
off.  Called my mom to see if she wanted to have a look.  She agreed, so I
picked
her up and back to the store.  She wasn't impressed.  Not much too it,
says she.
So, I explained that the electric motor would be more compact and have
more torque
than an equivalent gasser.  Anyway, just try it, and if you don't like it,
bring it
back.  If they won't take it back, I'll cover your costs and use it at my
place.
So, we took it to her place, and I wasn't to leave until she tried it, so
I could
take it back right away.  Well, there isn't much snow about just now.
We've just
had freezing rain on top of a melt, so what there is tends to be the
remains of
snow banks with a crust.  So, she drove it into such a mound.  And it did
just fine
- blew snow and ice chips at least 20 feet.  She played for a few minutes,
and
figured it would work after all.  As we put it away beside the dead
gasser, it
seemed dwarfed by its predecessors.  Then she figured it might be right
handy
getting some places the big brute wouldn't go, and is much easier to
operate.  So,
there's hope.  Next test will be how the machine works in the next storm.
I'm sure
I'll find out shortly after the next test run.  If all goes well, I expect
I'll be
told to come and take the big space-waster away.  If so, I'll definitely
be looking
for a way to convert that chassis to electric power, corded or cordless.

Several of you have responded to me off-list on this thread.  Thanks.

Particularly interesting was Keith Steig's home-built 2-stage thrower
(based on a
Honda surplus unit).  I've posted his picture on my site at
http://www.econogics.com/ev/hondablw.jpg.  Thanks, Keith.  Also accessible
via
http://www.econogics.com/ev/evtools.htm#Tractors.

Hmmm.  Maybe the auger front-end off a gasser on the front of the IH 95E
with a
separate 36-volt motor.  Keith, you may have started something.

I love this list.

Darryl McMahon