Re: (ET) HL-Controller vs The E-meter

If you bypass the HL controller and just run a full charge cycle with the factory charger/timer, does the e-meter reset and show full?

I'd be willing to bet it does. I don't have an E-Meter on my E20, however I do have one on my Geo Prizm (300 volt system, AGM batteries, 6.6kw MagneCharger). Typically I end the charge up about .5 amps on the E-meter, and about 10% overcharge as measured by the Dolphin controller and the MagneCharger diagnostics.

It might be that if you turn the voltage set point on the HL controller up a little higher and give it a couple of days, it would get the batteries closer to full?

Yes, however then you would be overcharging the batteries all the time. You'd have to remember to go out every week to add water. At which point I would say just go out every week/month and turn the ole charger dial.

And if you have the RS-232 version of the e-meter and some spare time, you could hook it up to a computer and log the data from a charge cycle (48 hours?) with the HL controller, then we could graph the voltage & current over time and might be able to see what the thing really does.

Sure, but to be honest, people have been charging T105s since the beginning of time. The charge specifications are pretty straightforward: You have to charge the batteries to a certain level, then equalize them to a certain value.

I'm very aware of this since my Prizm has two strings that each have *25* batteries. These are very long strings, and since the batteries are AGM types (sealed) you can't add water to them. Ever. So if you undercharge the batteries they will fail early, and if you overcharge you will dry out the battery.

My charge algorythm is based on the Hawker specifications: Bulk charge the pack to 15 volts per battery, then take them up to 15.7 volts per pattery for 50 minutes. I have an array of ten temperature sensors and two gas sensors that will shut down if any battery gets over 100 degrees F, or if hydrogen is detected. The extra bit at 15.7 ensures an equalized pack (because the strings are so long), the cost is I might lose a bit of water each time.

For the Elec-trak, one can just charge at 15 volts all the way, with a timer to stop the charge after say 8-12 hours. One will lose some water at the end of the charge, but you can pop the tops and refill the batteries if needed.

Chris

Jim, your calculations are good on paper but in real life when I use the tractor starting with a Full battery I can run for about 2 hours. This brings the battery down to about 80% DOD. With the Landis controller in the charger, plugged in all day and night when I start using the tractor the next day I can only run for about 20 minuets before the tractor slows WAY down from weak batteries. The E Meter confirms this "Battery at 0%" condition. You are correct that the E Meter is difficult to program. It takes me several tried to get is set to the tractor. R. > I think that the E-meter and the Harry Landis Controller may be mutually