Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Snow Thrower Speed

Ralph,
I checked into this before my conversion.  Most augers run around 1000 RPM.  The electrac has a no load speed of 3100 RPM.  It is important to note the speed will drop quickly with load.  I set mine to run 800 RPM no load.  I wanted the increased torque for wet snow more than distance.  Even with the belt drive to a two stage snowblower connected, you may see 8000 rpm from the motor.

Ralph & Elaine Vogan <ralphgv centurytel net> wrote:
Does anyone know the rpm of the snow thrower auger?

I am converting a 36" craftsman unit to electric.  I am using a 36 volt 3 hp. 3000 rpm series wound motor to drive it.  The way it is set up now the auger speed will be around 1300 rpm.  It is belt driven.  It has a spring loaded idler pulley, and I am hooking up a limit switch on it to shut off the PTO relay if the belt brakes.  Thank you for the info on series motors not having speed regulation without a load.  It came at just the right time.

Ralph Vogan