Re: (ET) hybrid ET

Not to mention the elimination of any pollution advantage an electric vehicle might have had. Remember that small, non smog controlled engines pollute 100 times more that the average new car engine. I won't even mention 2-strokes.
anton

Gordon Trump wrote:

I did this with my E20 in the early 80s. Could not afford 6 new batteries to replace weak ones, had 8HP engine laying there... Mounted the engine (vertical shaft B&S from a riding mower) where the weight box/range pack had been. It had electric start, tapped off the lowest 2 batteries. Used a 110 amp Mopar car alternator and a home-brew regulator to get 40 VDC out of it. Used 1 v belt, should have had 2. The alternator need to go 4000 rpm to get any useful power- pulley sizing is important. What did I learn? A. If batteries are at least OK, it will add range and let you "catch up" the charge when the tractor is not mowing too hard. B. If the batteries are really weak or discharged severely, it won't run the tractor. C. Pretty inefficient and unpleasant- lot of heat, noise and vibration, gas consumption- worse than a regular tractor.
D. Needed more engine and more alternator- or a gas tractor;-)
E. Spoiled best aspects of E20. I later took it apart and bought batteries= quiet again!