Re: (ET) Ralph's LEDs

On 23 Nov 2003 at 17:20, William Korthof wrote:

> Where did you
> get the information that a pulsed power supply is common?

>From an online friend of mine who's an electrical engineering prof at
>Duke
University.  Here's what he wrote:

"What appeared to be red LED taillights, turn-signal lights, and brake
lights on buses in Phoenix and Tucson were a sign of the time and of good
application. Red units on traffic signals seem like a great idea also.

"Be aware that the psychological appearance of a bright light is achieved
by
rapidly pulsing the LED with high current and a low duty cycle.  A
brighter
light is gotten with 10 X maximum current at a duty cycle of 10% or less.
The average current is no greater than supplying the rated max current for
100% of the time."

If this information is incorrect, I apologize - though the method
certainly
sounds valid and could probably be used to good effect should one wish to
replace some or all of the ET lamps with LEDs.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Americans are satisfied with things because they are large; and
if not large, they must have cost a great deal of money.

                            -- Lepel Henry Griffin, ca. 1885