RE: (ET) Vacuum or Sweeper?

Hump,
        I can pitch in my 2 cents worth. I did build a vacuum, using
Dennis' prize as inspiration. Mine is actually a poor shadow of his, and
was built with the primary goals of cheap and fast.
        I started with a utility cart from Walmart, picked up on
closeout last year. I then bought one of those push vacuums made by
Sears that was abandoned at a local mower repair shop. For $50, I got
the blower, powered by a three horse engine.
        I built a doghouse out of OSB on the cart to hold the clippings.
*Very* rough looking. I mounted the vacuum on the front of the cart
(with the exhaust directed to the top of the 'box', and connected the
intake to the mower deck using a section of 8" flexible duct that is
made for such a purpose. Impressions:

-It works. The suction is adequate, though it can clog.

-It's OK to run the debris through the blower. Mine has an impeller made
of formed steel, and likes to chew on the occasional acorn.

-The leaves and grass are reduced in volume a tremendous amount. That's
the best part for me, along with not having to rake!

-I put this on a Sears ICE tractor, out of necessity. I will adapt this
for my electric when the tractor is done. I'll swap out the engine for a
deck motor, which should work just fine.

Hope this helps.

        -Phil Trice