(ET) I test drove an Electric OX yesterday

        Hi All
        I was at the Outdoor Farm Show in Woodstock Ontario yesterday and I
got a chance to test drive an Electric OX. That's the modern electric
tractor now being manufactured and sold be the Electric Tractor Corp. So
I'll give you a brief review in point form.
1.)     48 VDC. Two batteries in the front four in the back
2.)     electrical/electronic components are in an easily accessible
plastic
tray mounted horizontally above the front batteries.
3.)     hood and the rear battery box are ¼" fiberglass
4.)     frame is welded square tube and plate
5.)     front lift is a linear actuator
6.)     body is snow white and frame is black
7.)     front mount mower is virtually the same as the front mount for
Electracs and Wheelhorses
8.)     the is no transmission, two motor are used one for each rear wheel
9.)     there is a SRC speed controller for each motor
10.)     is simple but very functional LED's for battery condition electric
hour counter for tractor use hours
11.)     switches and dash components  for front lift and accessories are
the type used in power boats, covered with a rubber boot and waterproof.
12.)     there is a horn (more on this later)
13.)     the charger is built in and under the machine in a small locker,
on
the opposite side there is an inverter.
14.)     behind the seat there is a retractable 120 AC extension cord
15.)     seat is a comfortable modern tractor seat, high back and
ergonomically correct.
16.)     the only controls are a foot peddle for forward and reverse,
almost
shuttle they are both proportional, that is to say the heavier your foot
the
faster you go.
17.)     There is no brake peddle or parking brake it is all done with the
electronics/electrics.

Driving an Ox
        First, off driving and Ox is simply a pleasure and while very
similar to driving and ET the differences are really very profound after
all
there is 30 years of technological development between them. The first,
thing you notice when you get on the tractor is the seat is really
comfortable. Like all ETs you turn on the key and the gauges come alive.
Then you simply press on the throttle and you're away and depending which
way you push it you going forwards or backwards. Take your foot off the
throttle, there is a  click as a solenoid turn off the motor field (I
think)
and the tractor stops dead in it tracks (I need to explore this more)
because the tractor simple will not roll without power. The turning radius
is amazing small the wheel base seems to be shorter then an E12 and turning
radius is less that 12 inches at the rear wheel.
        Finally, the Electric Ox is silent not just quite,  it is silent,
that why you need the horn. There is no Peerless in the rear whining away.
        The Ox with a mower sell for about  $12000 CDN that's in the $7200
US range they are commercial machine. However they are trying to establish
dealer network so if you are interested give them a call. Currently, Ox(s)
are being used in greenhouses and poultry farms.

I could go on and on. The Ox is clearly what the ET would have turned into
if it had had continuos development over the last 30 years. While clearly
the electronics and electrical stuff is state of the art and very cool.
Some
of the other innovations are just as interesting, for example the use of
all
weatherproof gauges and switches,  easily accessible electronics, the
ergonomically correct seat, tiny turning radius and the extensive use of
"acid proof" plastic and fiber glass. It a very cool machine and at $7200
in
to-days dollars probably much cheaper the E15 in 1970.
        I putting a new seat on my Christmas list and I am off to my local
marina for some of those switches.
                You can see more at
        http://www.electrictractor.com/html/multi_prod.shtml
<http://www.electrictractor.com/html/multi_prod.shtml>

        Geof Thompson B.Sc., C.L.S.
        905-336-4698 | facsimile / télécopieur 905-336-8916
        Thompsong dfo-mpo gc ca <mailto:Thompsong dfp-mpo gc ca >
        Technical Services | Canadian Hydrographic Service | Services
Technique, Service hydrographique du Canada
        Central & Arctic Region | Région Centrale et de l'Arctique
        Fisheries and Oceans Canada | 867 Lakeshore Rd, Burlington,
(Ontario) L7R 4A6
        Pêches et Océans Canada | 867 chemin Lakeshore, Burlington
(Ontario)
L7R 4A6