(ET) Mower Motors

I was mowing. Hit a rock. Damn, I know better.

Mower deck shakes like the dickens. Hmmm, luckily it's only one motor, So
I swap it out with a spare (lucky). Finish mowing the lawn.

Next time out I hit another rock, it wasn't my fault this time though. But
that doesn't really matter now does it.

Mower deck vibrates, but it's a different vibration and not really bad and
goes away under load.  So I finish mowing. (no more spares anyway)

Bad motor 1 has no noticable bend in the armature. even mounting the blade
and spinning it by hand shows both blade ends to be travelling in the same
plane, off maybe 1/16 at the tips, if that much. So I don't suspect a bent
armature, I do noticed a growl on the brush end though! Maybe lifted comm
bars? Why would hitting something cause comm bars to lift, I thought that
was a problem with over-revving, which is unlikely to happen with per-mag
motors.

Bad Motor 2 has a different problem. The rock got between the blade and
the deck. The armature was pulled down out of the casing and the bearing
is now thrust onto the shaft about 3/32 too far, it actually unseated the
spring clip and pulled the shaft through. So far I haven't been able to
remove the bearing with my rudimentary cave-man tools. I'm taking it to a
machine shop after work today to get it off. Hopefully the shaft isn't
ruined.

MORAL:
Don't hit sh@#, stay in the grass to save your.........motors.

Stay Charged!