Re: (ET) chain is on but a bit crooked

That's what I would do. Running just a few seconds will take a lot of slack out. Stay out of the way when you do just in case....

-SteveS
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: (ET) chain is on but a bit crooked

Hi Guys,
Thanks for responding with the correct info on replacing the snowthrower chain.
As you can tell, I don't have lots of experience with chains. It didn't occur to me to look for a removable link. I guess the only chains I had ever replaced were bicycle chains.
Thanks to you folks, I found the link and with some effort, put on the chain.  But I had to loosen the four motor mount screws in order to get the ends close enough to replace the removable link.  Now I can't seem to get the motor straight again.  I used two crow bars but the chain seems a little short and restricts the movement of the motor.
Would it be safe to tighten things as far as I can and then run the motor?  Wouldn't that loosen up the chain and let me straighten the motor more?  If so, how long should I run it?
Thanks again for all the advice,
Richard "Zack" Zachary
E12

Bill Alexander wrote:
I don't have a snow blower, but have done a lot of work w/ chains.  It
almost certainly has some sort of removeable link.  There is a special tool
made to pull the 2 pieces together, but lacking that, a wire tie can often
do the job.  Or, you can sometimes set the chain so the ends are on the
sprocket, and the sprocket can hold them in the right place.  Talk to the
people at the bearing house where you get the chain.  You may also need a
"half link" (or "offset link") to make it the right length, since chain
only comes in even number of links.  Purchase an extra connecting link, so
that when the spring steel hook thing goes sprang, you don't have to go
back to the store.

Bill

Mine had a removable link - don't know if that is OEM or not. If that is the
case, coming off is easy. Putting on is a bit harder as you need to pull the
free ends together close enough to get the link back in.

- SteveS
E20
E12S