Re: (ET) Replacing snowthrower chain-need advice

I don't have a snow blower, but have done a lot of work w/ chains.  It
almost certainly has some sort of removeable link.  There is a special tool
made to pull the 2 pieces together, but lacking that, a wire tie can often
do the job.  Or, you can sometimes set the chain so the ends are on the
sprocket, and the sprocket can hold them in the right place.  Talk to the
people at the bearing house where you get the chain.  You may also need a
"half link" (or "offset link") to make it the right length, since chain
only comes in even number of links.  Purchase an extra connecting link, so
that when the spring steel hook thing goes sprang, you don't have to go
back to the store.

Bill

>Mine had a removable link - don't know if that is OEM or not. If that is
>the
>case, coming off is easy. Putting on is a bit harder as you need to pull
>the
>free ends together close enough to get the link back in.
>
>- SteveS
>E20
>E12S

Bill Alexander                         Excuse me if I ramble,
Physics Dept.                          but I drive a Nash.
Humboldt State University
Arcata,  CA  95521

phone: (707) 826-3212
e-mail: wca1 humboldt edu