(ET) (Fwd) Re: Elec-trak.org mirror

On 31 Jul 2003 at 19:06, Andrew Poush wrote:

> This has already been done by the internet archive.

The archive is a good idea, and a valuable resource.

Fortunately elec-trak.org (at least the one you cite) seems to be intact
on
the archive. That doesn't always seem to be the case.

It may be that I just don't know how to use it right, but I've tried the
archive for some other sites that had gone missing, and in many cases I've
found that only part of the site was archived.  Often it's just the
homepage
and a few others - usually not the part I need.  Sometimes images are
missing.  Here's an example:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020528211503/http://www.corbinmotors.com/

And even when a site's all there, it's always horrendously slow to load.
If
you don't know exactly where to find the information you want, you may as
well forget it - displaying one page can take upwards of a quarter-hour.

> It's one of the good examples of what our tax dollars can do.

I'm not an insider, but it appears to me that the archive is a nonprofit
corporation funded by donations from various sources.  This is a good
thing,
IMO.  There's no indication anywhere that they receive any tax dollars,
but
I suppose it's possible.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this
to all thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I
smite thee.