(ET) E-15 main drive wiring assistance needed

Greetings,
  Well... The Forward/Reverse relay got partially vaporized (something
about
not letting the motor stop when switching forward to reverse (or reverse to
forward), so I went to the local electric used parts store but couldn't
find
a 36-volt relay.  However, I did find a good heavy-duty 24v relay that
could
be used DPDT so I did a quick measure of the relay coil resistance and with
a little Ohm's law had an appropriate sized resistor to drop the 36v to 24
for the relay.  Now the connectors on the new relay are clearly more heavy
duty so I go about replacing the connectors as I swap the new relay in.
Now
the "smoke test" - put it in neutral and try a little forward.  Quick
problem - it smokes...  Check the wires - I must have one on wrong - do a
swap.  Now the motor spins forward so I check reverse and that works too.
So, run the motor up to speed forward just to see if all the speeds are
still operational.  The motor steps up speed to match the "throttle"
position, but what's this - the field weakening relay just smoked a wire.
Well, I have basic forward and reverse (and speeds) but probably not higher
speeds.  Anyone with recommendations on what's causing the field weakening
relay to vaporize a wire?

--joe
E-15 in Colorado
(that Alltrax controller is sounding really good right now)