Re: (ET) New failure mode...

as a matter of fact...  yes.  I found and use this relay on my E12S

Mfg. - FUJITSU
                     Mfg.# - FRL-263D048/02CK
                     1-5/16" x 1-1/16" x 7/8"
                     Contact current: 10 amp @ 30 VDC/240 VAC
                     Coil resistance: 2600 ohm

I get them here http://www.hosfelt.com/

the best thing about these puppies is the price $1.49.  Now they may not
be
better than the open style but while debugging fwd/rev relay burn-up
problem it
sure is a lot cheaper!  About the same time I found this relay I decided
protect the relay with an in line fuse which is cheaper yet to replace.
I've
used and blown fuses from 2amp to 15amp and have yet to determine where
these
power surges are coming from.  The best hypothesis we had was the
collapsing
field when the motor stops.  Putting a power resistor and hooking up the
VOM we
expected to see a huge spike but didn't.  puzzling...

Also available from hosfet is a socket for the above relay.  they have two
styles one of which is a little bigger and may be easier to mount and work
with.  wire it once and never again.  just unplugged the old and plug in
the
new  :^)

Since my E12S is still blowing fuses and I haven't traced down the cause I
have
no long term experience with these little "cheap" relays.

If anyone tries them please let us know how they hold up under steady use.

Dave
Seattle
E12S
E15mod