From: FixItUp [mailto:fixitup localnet com]
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 5:57 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) C-185 speed control and usage meter problems

 I got a  Wheel Horse C-185 late last summer,did some minor work on it and
have used it all spring to mow my yard,not even bothering to install the
mower deck on my other tractor,and that's really something because the
"other tractor" is a late-model $6000+ Wheel Horse 522xi with a 48 " deck
with mulcher,power steering,etc.
 Anyway,much as I like the Elec-Trak I have noticed some things that cause
me some concern.When I have the mower running,even with a fully charged
pack
and on level ground,when I stomp the pedal to the floor,it is very sluggish
taking off,it is sluggish for a few seconds and then finally takes off at
normal speed.I often end up hitting the cruise control/power pulse button
achieve any kind of decent takeoff.
 Then,when cutting short grass on level ground,even in D1 the usage meter
goes past the red,totally pegged.Fact is,even though the tractor seems to
work fine most of the time,the usage meter is in the red or higher even
when
just driving around.
 I'm starting to wonder if I should consider switching to a different type
of speed control,or if I should be looking at the motor. I did,by the
way,totally dissamble the motor last winter and replace both bearings.The
brushes looked very good.
  Does anybody have any ideas/suggestions?
Thank You,
Harold Zimmerman
Lancaster County PA
Wheel Horse C-185