RE: (ET) Using 4QD controllers

No!

You'll lose efficiency.

The power lost in these motors is lost mainly to the heat from the current
in the armature. P=I^2*R. If you slow a motor down it will draw more
current. If you merely double the current, it will quadruple the current
burned up in the windings.

You still need the same amount of power applied to get the same work
anyway.

Example: (not real life numbers)

Say I need 1 hp at 36rpm at the wheel.

Let's assume that there are no losses in the gearing.

I have a motor that turns 3600rpm at 36 volts and gives me my 1 hp.

That tells me that it gives me 100rpm per volt (this works well with
permanent magnet motors and almost as well with sep-ex like we have. Does
Not Correlate with series wound motors.

OK, So I can gear it down 100:1 and my requirements are met.
The motor draws 21.33 amps at 36volts to produce 1hp. 768watts/36volts =
21.33amps
The power lost (dissipated) is 21.33amps * 21.33amps * .003ohms =
1.36watts

If I cut the motor speed in half by changing the gearing and the input
voltage.
The motor now draws 768/18= 42.67 amps to produce 1hp.
The power lost (dissipated) is now 42.67*42.67*.003= 5.46watts just to heat
the windings

However, you did double your top speed capability.

The above education came to me courtesy of many years lurking the EV list.
hope I didn't screw it up too much.

Stay Charged!
Hump
I5/NY