(ET) Using 4QD controllers

This is forwarded with permission from a message sent to me by Christopher
Goddard.  He was responding to my post about using a 4QD  controller in an
ET.

= = = = = begin forwarded text = = = = =

I have used many 4QD controllers (very commom in UK) to power separately
excited motors.  The simple way is to use the brake drive output to drive
relay which switches the field on. The brake drive is energised just
before
the controller output comes on and drops out just as the output drops to
zero.

With a 4 quadrant controller this gives smooth control in drive and regen
braking.  I suppose  a cheaper solution would be to use a 2 quadrant
controller and achieve reverse by simply reversing the field current with
relays.

I also have an International Cadet 81 which I converted some time ago to
electric power with an E tech motor and 36v 200amp 4QD controller.  Works
very well but have doubts about the transaxle strength!

A few years ago I built from scratch an electric tractor running a Lynch
motor at 48v and 300amp controller.  It is very lively and capable.
Really
hard work, shame it seems to have been taken over by 7 year old son!!

= = = = = end forwarded text = = = = =

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1970 GE Elec-trak E15 36vdc
1974 Avco New Idea 36vdc
Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this to all

thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I smite thee.

Est. yearly US cost to safeguard Persian Gulf oil supply: $50 billion

Est. 2001 value of US crude oil imports from Persian Gulf: $19 billion
                                -- Harper's Index, April 2002