From: Kuffa, Thomas [mailto:Thomas Kuffa carlisletire com]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 11:18 AM
To: Roy Vanderhoef verizon net
Subject: Re: (ET) Troubleshooting details

Hi Roy,

I'm puzzled by the voltage measurements you obtained. If the wiring on
your machine is original, I don't see how those voltages are possible.
Were they taken with the tractor in the forward or reverse direction? I
don't know if I've ever seen the complete model no. of your tractor, but
I assume it's one of the older units with the transistor control card #1
at the heart of it's control schematic. Normally you should have 0 volts
between wire #6 and wire# 11 with the speed control in the neutral
position. If you are taking readings on the supply side of the reverse
relay, the polarities should never change. In the 1st thru the 3rd
speeds, the voltage should stay at 36 volts and then decrease from the
4th thru 7th speeds in the forward direction. In reverse, you should see
the 36 volts between the same wire no's. for all three backward speeds.
Downstream of the relay( between wire # 10 and #49) you should see the
polarity reverse. When you put the tractor in reverse, check to see if
you are getting 36 volts( wire #49 positive and #10 negative). If not it
sounds like you have a problem with the reverse relay. It is located
inside the top half of the fuse panel inside the front battery
compartment. Should be the opposite end from the fuses. Watch the
contact closure between the middle and bottom set of contacts as you try
reverse. Also check wire connections to all the terminals on that relay.
Let me know how you make out.

Tom