RE: (ET) DC to DC [Virus checked]

If the control for the motor is simple in design, that is without analog or
digital control that requires a regulator, you should be able to drive the
electric motor with higher voltage if needed. Wire gauge in motor windings
is usually determined by the current draw more than by the voltage. If your
applying higher voltage the power requirement for the task will be about
the same so the current will be less. As long as the voltage isn't so high
(usually this starts are about 50 v) that you are getting arcing in the
brushes you should not have a problem. Even if there is a regulator in the
controls more than likely you can replace it with one that will regulate
the new voltage that you want to use to the lower logic level voltage that
is needed by the controller.

Anyway, if it was me I would try the 18V motor at 36V and see how it works.
I am planning to use a 12V motor in a application I have at a higher
voltage of 24V to get more speed out of the motor.

Dave Reuter

                      "Chapin, Tim"

                      <tchapin umich edu>              To:
"'ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA'" <ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA>,
                      Sent by:                          elec-trak cosmos
phy tufts edu
                      owner-elec-trak cosmos ph        cc:

                      y.tufts.edu                      Subject:  RE: (ET)
DC to DC

                      05/15/2003 09:39 AM

As for the 36 to 12 converters, you can buy 36 volt bulbs that fit right
into the original sockets on the elec-trak (my project for this summer for
my e-12m).  So now you are down to just the 18 volt for the lifts.  I would
think someone could come up with a better actuator that would work on 36
volts.  Maybe something like the dish actuators.  Most of them are rated at
500 lbs.