RE: (ET) charger - extension cords

By the way, cord coiling is a no-no when significant power, like that
required for EV charging, is involved.  A coiled cord is an inductor, and
that will increase voltage drop and heating.

A coworker showed me a cute trick.  If you fold an extension cord in half,
pick up the mid point, and coil the two halfs at the same time (so that
both ends of the extension cord stay together the whole time), it's OK to
use the extension cord coiled because there's now a counter-clockwise turn
in the "inductor" to cancel the effect of each clockwise turn.

At 11:29 AM 4/30/03 , Larry Elie wrote (in his example):
>Joe plugs in the ET at 6:00 off a 50' extension cord. ....

Several years ago I discovered another ET in town by accident. I drove the
fire truck to a fire in a garage, and when the fire was out, I discovered
(mostly) coiled up extension cord powering an Elec-trak charger had
overheated and started some litter going.

It's risky to use an extension on this high a load. Make sure it has heavy
gauge wire, is no longer than necessary, and is well exposed to the air
throughout it's length so it can dissipate the heat generated.

Paul and Sue Abendroth
pabendro gemair com
our permanent address is pabendroth dma org