Re: (ET) I was woundering.

Here are a couple of possible reasons:
- Really smooth speed control at very low speeds.  Might be useful for
towing large loads.  An electronic controller provides nearly full torque
even when starting out at a creep.
- Regenerative braking.  If you have a controller that can do this, you
might get longer battery life if you have really hilly terrain.

>>> "Christopher Zach" <czach computer org> 4/23/2003 9:46:43 AM >>>
I'm curious as to *why* to replace the controllers in the Elec-Trak.

The shunt wound models (well, the E15/E20's) have a total of 8 speeds and 4
gears. That's 32 possible forward speed settings between 0 mph and 8 mph.
Do
we really need more granular control? Personally I drive mine with two
speeds: cruise speed for mowing (in L) and "run around" speed at full blast
(also in L). My gas tractor has only one speed; mow (you can't cut the
throttle since it spins the blades, and gear-shifting requires a full stop.
Really fustrating)

As for reliability, the relays and contactors seem to be reliable. They
complain a bit at times, but that's more to the fact that the relays could
use some cleaning and TLC.

An argument could be made that the resistor banks aren't efficient, but if
I'm going that slow I typically will shift into LL and run the motor at
cruise speed.

All in all I can't see much reason for an electronic control system. The
electronics for the E20 seem to be limited to keeping the field weakening
function from burning out the armature, and that's about what we need.

Chris