Re: (ET) Dropping the transaxle

I don't know about replacing the shift lever, but for the brakes, you do NOT need to remove the transaxle. To do a brake job, loosen up the bolts on the left rear wheel, jack up the rear of the tractor (I use a jack under the middle of the transaxle), then put in blocking under the frame behind the transaxle and remove the jack and remove the left wheel.

If you are nimble and have flex-joints in your socket wrench set you may not need to do anything to the transaxle to change the brakes. But I find it does help to lower it a little bit - loosen the 4 bolts that hold the transaxle to the frame (2 each side), but don't remove. Push down on the left end and add a ~ 1/4" shim to hold the transaxle in that slightly lower position. That provides enough clearance to get to the upper bolt for the brakes.

Steve Gaarder wrote:
I need to replace the shift lever and upgrade the brakes on my E-15.  I
understand that to do this I need to remove the transaxle.  Now my field
is electronics, and I approach anything requiring a large wrench with a
bit of trepidation.  Does anyone have suggestions or tips on how best to
carry out this operation?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder

--