Re: (ET) Solar charging, part 2

I think my controller would work fine with a DC solid state relay instead of the AC one. As it happens, I have some DC SSRs available. So if anyone wants a controller with a DC SSR (30 amps, I think) just ask. Same price ($40 including shipping). Note: this control scheme won't work on a normal solar installation. It only works in applications like the ET where there is essentially no power drain on the batteries while charging. If there is significant current being taken from the batteries, the battery voltage is no longer the rest voltage, but is lower due to the drain. So the controller thinks the battery is always low, and ends up overcharging it.

Harry Landis

From: Jeremy Gagliardi com
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Solar charging, part 2
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:04:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:00:07 -0400, "SteveS" wrote:
> Yes, at the relatively low currents that we are talking about (5A or so),
> there are inexpensive controllers one could make or buy. Now, where do we
> buy cheap (err, inexpensive) solar panels?
> SteveS
> E12Ss
> E20

Okay, now the next question is who can build one (Harry Landis, are you up to the task)? I haven't dabbled in electronics since I took a required course in college for my CompSci degree. That was 11 years ago, and I don't remember a lick of it. Although, if someone drew up a schematic, I might be able to follow
it.

--
Jeremy
E20