(ET) Re: Belt Slippage

 A day or so ago,someone had posted regarding a slipping belt on an
Elec-Trak. It didn't occur to me until after I had already deleted the
message that I owe that person (I forget who it was) and the list some
advice stemming from experiences I've had. Most of the belts available out
there,especially Gates,if you examine them closely,are completely encased
in a cloth-like fiber casing. My experience with those is this:In high
stress applications-They Slip! The problem can usually be solved by using
what's known as a "cut-edge" belt. Dayco is one manufacturer that I know
of that makes belts like that. They can easily be identified by looking at
their edge.You can see that the belt has been knife-cut and has raw rubber
exposed. The bottom line is,now you have real rubber on your driving
surface rather than just fiber. I would guess that if you're using the
Gates-type belt and switch to a cut-edge belt,your performance will
improve dramatically.
Harold Zimmerman
Lancaster Co. PA