Fw: (ET) Re: newly designated librarian for elec-trak

All,
I have been reading the discussion on the scaning of the manuals. I would
like to know the approximate number of pages involved. I think that may
have
considerable effect on just how it should be done.

I might be able to participate. I am in Boulder CO, just under 100 mi from
Joe in Colo, I think. That might be useful. I have an old scanner with
sheet
feeder. I haven't used it recently; it needs its rollers cleaned, etc. It
should work. I don't have the software to make the PDF files, however. If
the job is big enough, it might make sense to split up the scanning and/or
other parts of the task. I could probbably do some of the scanning, at
least.

It seems to me that scanning the pages in black-and-white would make sense;
it saves space in the image files and is possibly faster. Pages that would
benefit from full color could be done that way, I would think. I would also
suggest saving the image files for backup, etc., if possible. Using .jpg
image files would save the most space, but .jpg is a "lossy" format. Each
time a file is saved, you lose some resolution. Saving scan files once is
ok, but other formats should be used for subsequent saves. Copying a .jpg
file from one place to another is ok; only saving causes loss.

The resolution of the scan is also important. 150 dpi is normally all you
need for clear printing if you aren't doing any further enlargement. Some
diagrams or illustrations might need more in special cases.

Any comments or suggestions?

Herb Crary