(ET) EV, ET costs

Caution: Some facts may be interspersed within the following opinions.

The EV1 was an experiment from the get-go. GM never intended to sell them.
The next iteration maybe, but not the EV1.

Lead batteries do not have a "disposition cost" as far as the environment
goes; they are 99% recyclable. However they have a definate fiscal cost.
For
example say you get 5 years from your typical $420.00 ET battery pack, then
you have an amortized "fuel" cost of 420/5 = $84 per year, not including
charging costs. I know my gas tractor doesn't burn $84 of gas per year
(more
like $20.00/yr for mowing and maybe $35.00/yr for snow-plowing.). However,
that little difference is worth it to me. The reduced noise, vibration,
heat
and noxious fumes are all affordable at that rate.

The power plant is probably more than 1000 times cleaner than your typical
JD ICE tractor. see http://www.evadc.org/pwrplnt.pdf for some more info.
And
remember the ICE can never be refueled with clean wind, solar, hydro,
nuclear, or bio energies.

If you could manufacture ET's for ~ $2500.00 (deck included), and market
them through Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, you wouldn't be able to keep up
with demand.

Stay Charged!

Hump