(ET) Lubing the front end and mower motors

While assembling the front end of my E20, I ran into a small problem.
Hooking my grease gun up to the axle grease valve and squeezing resulted in
no grease going in. As a result, the only grease in there is the globs I
put
on for assembly.

Do these valves stick? Do I have to drop the whole front end again? Can I
leave it this way till it gets warmer? Please :-)

OTOH I don't want to find another axle. It was good to get the tractor
going
again; I really missed riding around in total quiet.

Also, how much should I expect to pay to have a mower motor overhauled? One
of my three makes a little gravelly sound when turned freehand.

Chris