Re: (ET) What for our future?

Don Barry wrote:
<big snip>

> - I don't feel like our numbers are increasing much. If you look at some
> of the other tractor clubs, they seem more robust. What to do (or is it
> not a problem) ?

I don't think this is a problem.  The group is compact, generally a wealth
of knowledge, and who we want to address.  List volume is low enough not
to chase anyone way that is interested.  I think we may want to be clear
what we want to achieve.  I think the extension from Elec-Traks to other
commercially produced brands is a natural thing - there aren't enough of
the others still around to support a sustainable mass.  Do we also want to
encourage conversions of existing gas tractors to electric power?  A bit
bigger leap.

> - It breaks my heart to think running (or nearly running) ET's are
> sitting unused or in the junkpile. Why can't we as group make some of
> them running and GIVE them to groups (like a church, city, any
> enviromentally-active company or whatever) to use? The more folks who
> see an ET makes more folks who might want one.
>
> - I feel that we all answer the same questions over and over again. As
> we do not have an indexed archive for our email messages, a lot of info
> gets lost.

So we need an FAQ list.  Where do we want it to reside?  Who will take the
first stab at compiling it?

> - While the websites are good, there isn't any easy way for us to upload
> and comment out information individually or spontaneously. This would be
> invaluable for those of use with problems to submit a picture (worth a
> thousand words, I hear).

If anyone has the ability to e-mail images, but not post them, I will
volunteer to accept the images and post them on my site (at or below
http://www.econogics.com/ev/evtools.htm#Tractors) for viewing by others.
(The service will not be instantaneous.)

> - We lack a registry of existing tractors.

If folks really think this is of value, I will volunteer to put this up on
my site.

 I already do this for on-road electric vehicles for North America
(http://www.econogics.com/ev/evwhere.htm), so not a big effort to set up
something for ETs.  Before you send me your particulars, let's decide on
what the expected value of this registry will be?  (As opposed to someone
expressing interest asking on the list if there are any ETs near Upper
North Gumshoe that they could look at.)

<snip>

Personally, I like the mailing list format, despite the valid points Don
has raised.

(And while I'm here, I would like to thank Don for the ET website and all
the work he has done on it to date.)

Darryl McMahon
E12 with blade, mower, sweeper, snowblower, rototiller, hedge trimmer &
non-op cultivator

Darryl McMahon          48 Tarquin Crescent,
Econogics, Inc.         Nepean, Ontario K2H 8J8
 It's your planet.      Voice: (613)784-0655
 If you won't look      Fax:   (613)828-3199
 after it, who will?    http://www.econogics.com/